Dating can be challenging for single parents.
There are so many variables they must consider…and they are usually constantly changing.
If you are a single parent, or you know one, who has a desire to start dating again, you’ve come to the right place!
In the latest podcast episode, I had the opportunity to speak with two single mothers, Angela and Laneice, to discuss at length the challenges that many single parents face when they are ready to start dating again.
There are so many valuable insights shared during the discussion and I am sure that after listening you will know whether or not you are truly ready to start dating. Enjoy!
Episode Title: How Single Parents Can Know It’s Time to Start Dating Again
Music: Leela James – Do Me Right
- “You must be complete within yourself. No one can make you complete.” – Laniece
- “We really have to focus on learning how to be happy and putting our hope in Christ versus putting my hope in a person.” – Angela
- The importance of therapy and true healing
- The differences between how single parents prepare for dating and how singles without children prepare for dating
- How single parents can prepare their children when they get ready to start dating again
- How people without children can prepare to date a single parent
Hot Topics & Takeaways:
- Laniece shares two things that single parents MUST do before they even think about dating again
- Why single parents should ask their children what they think about them dating before they start dating again
Dangers & Difficulties:
- Reasons why some single parents find it challenging to start dating again
- How to interact in a peaceful and drama-free manner with your ex while dating
Experience is the Best Teacher:
- Angela admits the mistake she made by not initially focusing on how her children felt about her dating
- Laniece discusses the fine line between not being ready to start dating again and just being too afraid to be ready
Fun Times & Stories
- Angela and Laniece talk about the ‘stank face’ phase that many single mothers go through when they have no interest in or tolerance for men who are attracted to them
Hold Yourself Accountable:
If you haven’t completely healed, don’t truly know yourself and don’t know why you want to begin dating again…you’re not ready. So, take the time to invest in yourself and do the most important work first. Work on you, not finding a mate.
Apply the Kingdom Principles:
“Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance.” Proverbs 1:5 (ESV)
Take Action Now:
- Prioritize and place first things first.
- Pray and seek God for guidance.
- Research and consider counseling or coaching.
- Talk to your children.
- Date yourself before you date someone else.